Oh wow. Civil wars have been started over less. But there are seven outstanding burgers here in the Cape Region! My favorites (again, in NO PARTICULAR ORDER) are:
1. The Short Rib Burger at Fish On in Five Points in Lewes. Bacon. Cheese. Tomato Jam. It's hard to beat!
2. The “Build your Own” burger at Woody's Dewey Beach Grill. Seared to a perfect firmness on the outside, still savory and moist on the inside. I get it with pickles, jalapenos, cheese, and of course bacon.
3. The “Signature Burger” at Blackwall Hitch in downtown Rehoboth: white cheddar, fried green tomato, bacon, lettuce, roasted garlic mayonnaise on an onion-poppyseed bun. ASK FOR THE ONION STRAWS on the top. By the way, it is VERY closely followed by the braised shortrib sandwich with swiss, crispy onion straws, arugula, smoked tomato, roasted garlic aioli on ciabatta.
4. Admit it: Five Guys' burgers are amazing. Never frozen, cooked fresh to order, with bacon and cheese and your choice of about 70 toppings on what could be the perfect roll. It's all wrapped in foil so it stays moist and warm. Hot fries are tossed on top just in case.
5. The Monday-night special burger at Harvest Tide Steakhouse in Lewes. If they have the bourbon-marinated onion topping, GET IT! Otherwise, the wagyu burger is quite good.
6. The Blues Burger at Bethany Blues in Lewes and in Bethany Beach. It's everything it needs to be … and more!
7. This one's a sleeper. Who wooda thought a seafood joint would be in this list. Get the Chop House Burger at Big Fish Grill in Rehoboth Beach. Huge, moist and eminently satisfying. Not unlike the Rehoboth Foodie, in fact….
Five Guys’ Burgers and Fries is THE place for great hamburgers. I have NEVER been disappointed there, NEVER. It is almost unbelievable how consistent they are.
The possible combinations of toppings are almost endless. May I suggest a single burger with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms and A-1 sauce? Try it and you will thank me later. My other favorite is the single cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayonaise.
I love their burgers so much that I went through a period of mourning when their Lewes location closed. (I still haven’t figured that one out. It was always busy.) Alas, now my burger Jones can only be satisfied during the off-season, as I refuse to venture into Rehoboth Beach when it’s crawling with tourists and a bank loan must be secured to pay for parking.
Yes, Five Guys is the best burger place, hands down. My only complaint is that it has become somewhat pricey. One should be able to have a burger without prior financial planning.
You’ve got to try the burger at Thompson Island. OMG,it’s what I get every time I go there. A sweet sauce with fried onions and bacon. You will NOT be disappointed. My fav burger by far!!